Technology & Innovations
AREVA Solar’s core technology is the Compact Linear Fresnel Reflector (CLFR) solar collector and steam generation system.
It uses modular flat reflectors to concentrate the sun's radiation onto central elevated receivers (1) supported above the reflector field. These receivers consist of a system of tubes through which water flows (2). Boiler tubes in the receiver absorb solar energy, which is heated to produce superheated steam to(3). This steam then actionates a turbine which generates electricity.
DID YOU KNOW?
AREVA's Compact Linear Fresnel Reflector concentrates over 50 “suns” of energy.
Operation of a solar power station based on CLFR technology (3D animation)
Many parallel Fresnel collectors with flat mirrors concentrate sunlight onto absorber tubes through which water is pumped. They generate superheated steam – for the generation of electric power or heat for industrial processes.
CLFR Solar Molten Storage Solutions
Discover AREVA Solar’s CLFR molten salt storage option. The storage system complements AREVA’s suite of dispatchable Concentrated Solar Power (CSP) solutions—each tailored to meet our customers’ unique energy requirements.
- Most land efficient solar technology
- Less grading required than other CSP technologies
- Up to 50% more energy production per acre than competing technologies
- Direct steam generation from water as the working fluid means simple steam cycle integration and fewer parasitic, heat exchanger, and pumping losses
- Fixed receiver design eliminates problems with flexible hoses and ball joints
- Simple integration with existing power stations
- No synthetic working fluids eliminates risk of hazardous spills
- CLFR solar field is VOC Emissions free, simplifying permitting
- Water as working fluid elminates synthetic or molten salts and risk of hazardous spills
- Closed loop system and dry cooling capability to conserve water
Low Wind Profile
- Low elevation of mirrors above the ground reduces wind loads
- Fully rotating, steel-back reflectors minimize the wind attack profile and collection of dust and dirt
- Fully Automated manufacturing ensures rapid, high-quality production and installation
Materials & Construction
- Standard commodity materials and construction techniques for lower cost and high localization
- Low curvature reflector design for lower cost
- Galvanized steel frames provide utility-grade strength and life
- Fully automated manufacturing ensures rapid, high-quality production and installation