AREVA India team witnesses the impact of ASIE TANA - INTER AIDE’s (ATIA) action in urban slums
July 17, 2014
Since 2012, through its Corporate Foundation, AREVA has been supporting ASIE TANA - INTER AIDE (ATIA), a French organisation dedicated to the implementation of development programs in urban and peri-urban areas.
In major cities such as Mumbai and Pune, which have respectively over 20 and 4 million inhabitants, 50% of the population lives in slums. ATIA targeted these two cities to provide technical and financial support to 11 local NGOs to implement early childhood development and family development activities, through individual follow-up.
Recently, the AREVA Corporate Foundation decided to renew its support to ATIA for an additional two years (2014-2016). Following this decision, the AREVA India team went on the ground to Pimpripada, one of the Mumbai slums where ATIA operates, to better understand the concrete impact of its action.
The AREVA India team witnessed 2 social programs lead by ATIA and supported by the AREVA Corporate Foundation:
- >> Early Childhood Development program (ECD), which aims to anticipate any delay of development for very young children. The AREVA India team attended a session gathering slum families and their children from 0 to 5 years, where the ATIA social worker conducted experience sharing activities and discussions on topics such as nutrition, health, hygiene and the importance of play for the development of children
- >> Family Development program (FDP), which aims to improve the social and economic situation of slum families, helping them to use their own resources and structures available. The AREVA India team joined two visits to vulnerable families, where the ATIA social worker would listen to them, give them advice and refer them to appropriate services, helping them address their priority needs. The AREVA India team noticed the trustful relationship established between the social worker and the family, which often needs to be supported in more than one field: health, education, economy, housing, basic rights…
The AREVA India team could appreciate the measurable and scalable impact of ATIA’s social programs, deployed in 27 slums in Mumbai and Pune:
- >> ECD involves 200 families and over 300 children per year, improving their development, health and general living conditions.
- >> FDP involves 4,200 new families per year: helped through regular home visits, half of the objectives selected by the social workers are achieved, which in most cases gives enough strength to the families to continue the process by themselves.
- >> In 2014, both programs are expected to reach more than 9,200 slum families in Mumbai and Pune, an expansion that AREVA Corporate Foundation will keep on supporting for the next two years.
To know more
Press contact AREVA INDIA